Bassingbourn Village College exists to provide the best quality education for all. A BVC education develops students academically, broadens their experience outside the classroom, teaches character through its core values and prepares them to play a full and effective role in society.
The BVC curriculum offers students a wide range of subject choice without compromising the opportunity to excel in curriculum activities in the sports, creative arts, technologies and humanities through clubs, curriculum experience days and other cross curricular activities.
Our curriculum aims to:
- Provide all students opportunity to fulfil their academic potential
- Encourage the pursuit of excellence and to take pride in their performance
- Engender a love of learning and develop intellectual curiosity and confidence as preparation for lifelong academic development
- Enable students to understand the science of how they learn (metacognition), as well instil the importance of what they are leaning
- Support students to achieve the best possible qualifications and skills for entry to higher education or the workplace
- Cater for the individual through personalised learning
- Offer sufficient flexibility for extra support or stretch where needed, while ensuring equal access and opportunity for all
- Equip students with effective life and learning skills for success in the modern world– literacy, reading, oracy, debating, numeracy, and coding.
- Develop an understanding of the world of work and the careers available to them
- Prepare students to be global citizens and to respect others and the environment around them
- Develop healthy, happy, young people who know how to keep themselves and others safe through our Sex and Relationships Education (SRE), Social, Moral, Spiritual and Cultural (SMSC) and PSHE provision
Our curriculum is planned to ensure progression in knowledge and skills over the full five years a student attends BVC and to fulfil our College aim.
The Year 7 and 8 curriculum has been designed with rigour and pace at its heart. Students make a more efficient use of the time spent in Years 7 and 8, allowing them to be challenged and explore the subjects using a variety of approaches. Subject Leaders have identified the essential knowledge and skills that are key for success in their subjects and these form the framework for the curriculum and enrichment activities. The students will start their GCSE and vocational courses at the start of Year 9, to immerse them fully in their chosen subjects and enable the development of a knowledge rich curriculum that enriches and develops subject skills. This allows students greater access to the subjects they enjoy and helps build a lifelong love of the subject, demonstrated through the number of students continuing their education at sixth form and beyond. Departments have flexibility in how their subjects are taught, with an emphasis on enrichment and ensuring relevance to the wider world, including careers education and work place visits, The three year programme allows for embedding of skills, revisiting and revision of topics to take place as integrated parts of the curriculum, improving learning by embedding long-term memory which gives opportunities for subject areas to enrich the experience of the students through visiting speakers, trips and developing links to future careers.
If you have any queries regarding our curriculum, please visit our staff list HERE to contact Head of Department or subject teachers directly.
Our Curriculum Policy can be found on our Policies page.
Qualification courses we run
GCSE English Language (AQA)
GCSE English Literature (AQA)
GCSE Mathematics (Edexcel)
GCSE Biology (AQA)
GCSE Chemistry (AQA)
GCSE Physics (AQA)
GCSE Combined Science (Synergy) (AQA)
GCSE Art & Design (Edexcel)
GCSE Art & Design (3D Design)
GCSE Computer Science (OCR)
BTEC Construction (Edexcel)
GCSE Dance (AQA)
GCSE Design Technology (OCR)
GCSE Drama (Edexcel)
GCSE French (AQA)
GCSE Further Mathematics
GCSE Geography (WJEC Eduqas B)
Health & Fitness Level 1/2 Technical Award (NCFE)
GCSE History (Edexcel)
Hospitality & Catering Vocational Award Level 1/2 (WJEC)
GCSE Latin (Eduqas)
Music Technology Level 1/2 Technical Award (NCFE)
GCSE RE (AQA)
GCSE Spanish (AQA)
Students also have PSHE and Core PE on their fortnightly timetables.