Careers Education and Events
We value Careers Education and as such, have embedded it in both our curriculum and calendar. Each year group has a module of careers education taught through PSHE and will experience at least one encounter with employers each year. Our whole-year group events are organised by Form the Future and enable our students to experience a range of encounters throughout their time at school.
If you are interested in being part of a careers event, please contact Rebecca Hields at Bassingbourn Village College or Form the Future.
Our students also experience Careers Education across all subjects. Employability skills and linking the curriculum to the wider working world are embedded in schemes of learning for all year groups.
- Year 11 Information Evening – introduction of key transition information for Year 11, distribution of prospectuses, demonstration of Mychoice@16, general administration information.
- Year 11 tutor evening – 6th form, apprenticeship and employer stands. Brief meeting with tutor to discuss goals for year before spending time visiting stands.
- PSHE module on making applications and practising for interviews
- Apprenticeship talk – organised through Form the Future
- Mock interviews – January – organised through Form the Future
- NCS sign up events
- PSHE module on writing CVs, opportunities after BVC, and online reputations
- Year 10 Information Evening – introduction to college application information and update on possible destinations, Internships launch
- Careers Carousel – organised through Form the Future
- CV Writing – organised through Form the Future
- Careers workshops
- PSHE module on different pathways, personal statements, and skills & qualities
- Careers scavenger hunt – organised through Form the Future
- Eyes on the Prize careers event
- PSHE module on aspirations, post 16 research and the Options process
- Enterprise Day – organised through Form the Future
- Options Evening – introduction to colleges and possible destinations
- Individual guidance meetings – discussion about Options based on future plans
- PSHE module on business ideas and skills & qualities.
- What’s my line careers event – organised through Form the Future
Other events – open to all year groups
- Workshops in the student centre – e.g. law, police, pilots
- Motivational talks about keeping an open mind about careers
- Taster days for a range of post 16 colleges
- Careers and Apprenticeships assemblies
- Workplace visits
We offer students the opportunity to attend a range of careers workshops help in the Hive. These workshops are made up of a short presentation followed by a question and answer session with the students. We try to offer a wide variety of employers and recently have had visitors from Johnson Matthey and the Police force, amongst others. We are always looking for more volunteers to come and talk to our students. If this is something that you could offer, please contact Rebecca Hields, Assistant Principal (Transition & Curriculum), on 01763 242344 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to other pages on this website that may be interest:
Year 11 Information
Raising the Participation Age
Russell Group Universities